Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Are Unions in Decline?

Recently, while conducting a signing for my new book at a local store, I was confronted by a patron that became very agitated when he discovered I was a conservative person. This patron began to inform me, in a rather loud attention getting voice, that Ronald Reagan was the worst President to ever lead this country. The main thrust of this man’s tirade was that President Reagan destroyed organized labor.

In response to my questioning he told me his son is in the same union that represented him throughout his working life and is making less money then he did 20 years ago. Refusing to argue with him in a store, I told him that just meant his employers had probably been forced to pay him considerably more than his work was really worth. That seemed to work since he left the store using language I would not want any kids to hear.

My encounter with the union man left me wondering if the unions were indeed in decline. A quick check of the facts reveals that unions are indeed in decline if membership is any indication. Contrary to my liberal antagonist’s claims that President Reagan was the cause is the fact that membership has been spiraling downward since it reached its peak in 1954 with 39% of the work force (1). In 1983 membership was 20% and has steadily fallen to 12% today (2).

Membership numbers are only one way to measure union strength. The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) donated $13.5 million to President Obama’s 2008 campaign (3). The United Auto Workers Union (UAW) spent $4.9 million helping Obama get elected (4). What does $18.4 million dollars buy from a newly elected President?

If you are a member of the UAW you now own 65% of Chrysler and almost 11% of General Motors even though shareholders and creditors received only pennies on the dollar for their investments or supplies and parts (5).

This morning I awoke to find our President had negotiated an agreement with organized labor, mainly the SEIU and the AFL-CIO, about the proposed 40% tax on the “Cadillac” health care insurance plans. It seems union members whose contract was settled under collective bargaining are exempt from the tax I will be paying for my insurance policy.

During his campaign for the Presidency, Obama promised me I would not experience any tax increases because I earn less than $80,000 per year. I guess I will put this promise with the one to let C-SPAN cover the health care negotiations.

I wish I could see my liberal antagonist again to reassure him the unions are more powerful than ever. They have a President in their pocket.

Carl D. Goodson
Clute, TX


(1) www.jstor.org/pss/2523761
(2) www.bls.gov/news.release/union2.nr0.htm
(3) www.sacbee.com/statistic/weblogs/the_state_worker/2008/10/column-extra-your-money-and-pr.html
(4) www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/UAWs-only-GOP-Senate-donation-last-cycle-Arlen-Specter-Chrysler-Rattner-44448422.html
(5) www.newsweek.com/id/200194

No comments:

Post a Comment